Measuring up to global competition with Norican
About Norican Group
Norican Group, a mergers and acquisitions led company, is the world’s leading provider of technology and services to the surface preparation and metallic parts industries, manufacturing the machinery and parts that sit at the centre of foundries.
Long story short…
Norican needed to move on from their legacy CMS to help build momentum with their ambitious growth plans. After understanding Norican’s customer base in great detail, we mapped out customer journeys and delivered a Sitecore XP solution. This would provide customers with a personalised online experience and ensure they are optimally served by delivering relevant content, in context, across multiple brands, territories, and 11 languages.
Norican Group’s incumbent technology no longer supported their business requirements and they needed to look forward to a best-in-class customer experience platform, in order to help achieve their ambitious targets.
Norican also had a brand that was largely weighted towards those looking for high-end machinery, but this wasn't reflected in their current digital experience. They therefore required support to effectively communicate with their broad customer base.
As a company with immense global reach, another key challenge would be addressing the needs of multiple brands and highly complex and long customer journeys.
The new platform would need to be capable of:
- Delivering a consistently great customer experience across 11 languages and multiple brands within the group
- Displaying the appropriate content for each geographic location, in line with Norican’s product distribution limitations, so users only see the products available to them
- Easily enrolling acquisitions into a single, consistent digital experience
- Integrating with legacy systems (e.g. we needed to ensure a seamless transition of data from the enterprise content management system to Microsoft Dynamics CRM - regardless of language – in order to build efficiency into the lead generation process)
How we simplified them…
To kick-off this project, we first needed to work with Norican to identify their customer personas. We:
- Conducted surveys on the current websites
- Spent time at Norican’s foundries to talk to staff ‘on the ground’ and get a better feel for the business; and
- Took Norican through a number of discovery workshops, collaborating with stakeholders from all over the world, in order to get a broad insight
We found that purchase decisions were rarely made by one person. As such, we needed to accommodate customer journeys that extended beyond one customer.
Overall, we identified 5 different personas and over 140 customer journeys to map. The research helped to shape a customer journey that transitioned through multiple roles within a company, over a 6 to 24 month period.
To accommodate this, we mapped these journeys alongside each stage of the buying cycle, re-engineered Norican’s information architecture and crafted a content strategy accordingly - in line with the SPIN methodology.
The content strategy was key, and when we audited the content, it was clear what role it played at each stage of the journey. We found that on the product pages for instance, we needed to facilitate an offline journey, and supply those customers with all the tools needed to build a business case for the purchase of the machinery. Further to this, to ensure the site displays the appropriate content for each geographic location, the customer's location is authenticated via their IP address, and the content is trimmed accordingly.
We then leveraged Sitecore’s component and modular based platform to allow for new Norican acquisitions to be easily enrolled and to provide a single and consistent digital experience for their customers. We also supported Norican on typography, colour, photography and implemented a flexible design approach for creating templates.
We have also used the CRM Campaign Integration module to integrate the Sitecore platform with Norican Group’s existent Dynamics CRM system. This will push leads in and allow the marketing team to work more efficiently with an intended higher volume and higher quality leads in each territory.
To allow Norican to communicate with their broad customer base, we reimagined the UI to portray Norican as a multi-tiered brand, and introduced price bandings to create a digital experience that reflected their position in the market.
Simplicity driving results…
The new site now provides users with a personalised online experience and ensures they are optimally served by delivering relevant content, in context. The multilingual content management system gives Norican the confidence that only the appropriate content will be delivered to customers across the world, without the need for authentication; creating efficiencies within their marketing department.
Since the new site has gone live, Norican has:
- Seen an increase in lead generation:
- Referrals from Norican to sister brands Wheelabrator and DISA have increased by 18% and 46%, respectively
- actual page views of the Wheelabrator (English language) contact page have increased by 197%
- Continued to build on their existing customer relationships:
- Average monthly visit frequency has increased by 3% on the Norican site
- Extended their brand reach:
- social media channels have generated a 266% uplift in traffic to DISA
- Acquired 3 new businesses, which they’ve now enrolled onto the new site to provide their customers with a single and consistent digital experience
"I approached Mando in March 2016, and was impressed by the team. I liked the idea of "simplifying complexity and creating business change" – it seemed a good fit to Norican’s needs. Now I believe we have a platform which is a good fit for Norican’s business strategy. It has been designed and built to support the way we approach business, and is scalable for our future needs. We want to make it easier for the customer to work with Norican, offering content and solutions to help with their challenges. And that experience is only going to improve as we continue to develop the site, working hand-in-hand with Mando."
Vanessa Ashworth, Vice President of Marketing Communications, Norican Group