Crafting a brand experience for Robinsons Brewery
Established in 1838, Robinsons Brewery has more than 330 pubs across the North West and North Wales and co-brews the beer Trooper with the band Iron Maiden, which sells globally.
Originally on a Drupal and Magento platform, there were a number of issues with the Robinsons suite of websites:
- Security – the sites were vulnerable to attacks and had periods offline, impacting on revenue with an inability to receive visitors and payments during downtime.
- Shopping experience – it was not possible for site visitors to purchase a ticket for a brewery tour in the same transaction as bottled beers or other products for delivery, as there were on separate ecommerce platforms.
- Brand experience – following a period of expansion and change for the brewery, Robinsons undertook a complete brand overhaul. This meant that the old websites did not live up to the new brand experience or identity.
- Mobile experience –the sites were not optimised for mobile. This was resulting in a poor customer experience and low visibility on Google.
- Integrating their digital estate – Robinsons had five different websites (corporate, recruitment, shop, visitor centre, free trade/export). The fragmentation of separate sites for different business areas made the customer journey incredibly difficult to track and limited cross-sell opportunities.
- Engagement with microsites – Robinsons experienced poor pub engagement with their microsites (less than 10%).
To achieve a connected experience across multiple channels and a single customer view, which would enable Robinsons to deliver an exceptional customer experience at every touch-point, we selected the Sitecore Platform – renowned for its digital marketing capabilities. This would be built mobile-first.
We moved Robinsons’ entire digital estate onto Sitecore, refining content and combining the five separate sites into one information architecture.
To simplify the challenges with cross-selling certain items, we brought the tours and shop onto the Ucommerce integrated Sitecore platform, allowing a much smoother and logical customer experience for purchasers.
With 300 microsites for individual pubs, all experiencing low engagement, we worked with Robinsons to get feedback from licensees to determine why weren’t using their site. They cited the following reasons:
- There was no dedicated gallery function to promote the pubs
- There was no room booking function to promote hotel rooms available
- Pubs were limited to only adding one menu at a time (as we know a pub can have multiple menus)
- The websites were not linked with social media
- The websites were not mobile friendly
- The licensees were not comfortable using computers/lack of time
Each of the 300 pubs now has a new microsite, which we’ve brought under the Robinsons site to allow greater integration and enable individual publicans to promote their own events and generate additional footfall, whilst be simpler to manage.
Finally, we took Robinsons through our Sitecore XP Starter Kit to empower them to take advantage of Sitecore’s marketing suite. Robinsons are now able to deliver customers a personalised experience based on their browsing history and preferences. They are also able to track visitors across multiple channels, including; mobile, tablet, desktop, e-mail, and social media, allowing them to control audience experiences in the most relevant, timely and engaging way.
The new site now caters for Robinsons’ diverse range of audiences - from those looking to run a Robinsons pub, stock their award-winning beers or buy them online, to those wishing to take a brewery tour, find out about their contract brewing and packaging services, or keep up-to-date with the activities of their pubs.
Since the redesign and replatform of Robinsons:
- Average monthly unique users has increased by 160%
- Strategic content accounts for more than 50% of page views; Pubs (25%), Shop (17%), Run A Pub (6%), Airport (5%)
- Total sales has increased by 64%; from £55k in 2015 to £91k in 2016
The website was named winner of the Sitecore ‘Site of the Year’ and ‘Best Use of Commerce’.
“Mando have been a breath of fresh air. We are delighted with the design and functionality of the website, and our customers seem to like it too. Working with Mando has been a very rewarding experience. They really understood our values, our brief, and our story from the start and seeing the website deliver the kind of results that it has, has been phenomenal. And to top it all off, they’re a very fun bunch of people to work with – something that you need when you’re working on a project for over a year. We now have a website that’s fit for the future and one that we feel is a leading example in our industry. We are looking forward to our continuing relationship with Mando and developing the website to provide even greater business value.” Daniella Martin, Communications Manager, Robinsons Brewery